t D23’s Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse (held from Nov. 16-Nov. 18), all kinds of exciting new announcements were made about Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, and the Disney Cruise Line. As Disney is saying, “Now More Than Ever!” it’s the time to visit, and that certainly seems to be the case with so many new updates, attractions, and shows. Disney never stops expanding onto what is already such a magical place, so it’s really no surprise that all of these thrilling additions will soon be part of the happiest places on earth. With that, here’s everything new you can expect (so far) to see!
Walt Disney World
New Epcot Attractions & Shows
-The new Ratatouille experience coming to Epcot’s France Pavilion was given an official name: Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure.
–There is a Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to the France Pavilion! It’s being created by Don Hahn, the producer of the animated and live action BATB films.
-The O Canada! 360-degree show in the Canada Pavilion is being updated, but exact details are unknown.
-Once IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth ends at the end of summer 2019, the all-new nighttime spectacular replacing it is slated to debut in 2020. The show will “celebrate how Disney music can inspire people from around the world, featuring massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics and lasers.” Between the ending of IllumiNations and its replacement show, a limited-time experience called Epcot Forever will debut in fall 2019 and will be set to classic Epcot tunes. Per Disney, “The show begins with a spark of imagination that quickly grows into an epic spectacle of fireworks, music, lighting, lasers, and choreographed, special effects kites.”
‘Star Wars’: Galaxy’s Edge
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will soon open at both Disney’s Hollywood Studios (fall 2019) and Disneyland (summer 2019). Until then, here are more details about two attractions and the land’s music.
-The names for two signature attractions were revealed. The first is called Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, which “puts guests behind the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy in one of three unique flight crew roles.” You can watch a short teaser of the ride below.
-The second attraction is called Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, which allows guests to join a battle between the First Order and the Resistance, including a face-off with Kylo Ren. A sneak peek of the ride is below, which was filmed in the actual attraction.
-Finally, Oscar-winning composer John Williams is creating original themes for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge! You can listen to a preview of Williams’ work recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios below. The video also shows the recent construction progress of the land at both Disney World and Disneyland.
New Resorts Details: ‘Star Wars’, Reflections, & Riviera
-Three new resorts are coming to Disney World. The first is the Star Wars resort, which is described as follows: “From the moment you board your launch pod, it’s a fully-immersive, multi-day Star Wars adventure aboard a luxury starship complete with high-end dining, space-view cabins, and all of the exciting action you would expect from an authentic Star Wars experience.”
-Remember the new nature-inspired hotel coming to Disney World? Well, it is called Reflections, and it will feature more than 900 hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas.
-The third proposed hotel is Disney’s Riviera Resort, which is slated to open in fall 2019 and will become the 15th DVC property. The resort is inspired by “the European grandeur Walt Disney experienced in his travels along Europe’s Mediterranean coastline.” There will also be a Disney Skyliner station at the resort.
Mickey & Minnie Celebrations
Mickey and Minnie’s 90th birthday celebrations don’t stop just because they had their official parties on Nov. 18. There are all kinds of exciting events ahead for the beloved mouse couple.
-First, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is set to open in fall 2019. The attraction will include a new original story and theme song, as guests take a ride through Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts.
-There is also Mickey & Minnie’s Surprise Celebration:
- It will be held at Magic Kingdom from Jan. 18 to Sept. 30, 2019.
- It will feature new food and merchandise.
- Guests can experience new entertainment, like a new dance party with Mickey, Minnie and their friends.
- The celebration also includes the chance to meet Mickey and Minnie together inside Town Square Theater in their new birthday outfits. There will also be a Celebration Station inside the theater, where guests can sign a guestbook for Mickey and Minnie. Visitors can also meet Pluto at Pete’s Silly Sideshow in Storybook Circus.
- If that isn’t enough, a new song called, “It’s a Good Time,” will be played during the new Move It! Shake It! MouskeDance It! Street Party.
Hollywood Studios’ 30th Anniversary
-For Hollywood Studios’ 30th anniversary, a new nighttime experience is debuting on May 1, 2019 called Wonderful World of Animation. The show will take guests through more than 90 years of Disney animation, all beginning with Mickey.
-The park’s anniversary will be celebrated all year long. A new 30th anniversary logo will even be revealed on Jan. 18, 2019.
Celebrate Mickey & Minnie At Disneyland Park
There will soon be all kinds of exciting new ways to honor your two favorite mice at Disneyland park. They include:
- It will feature new limited-time food, beverages, and merchandise.
- Starting Jan. 18, 2019, Mickey’s Mix Magic debuts (photo below), an all-new music, projections, and laser show and dance party set across most of the entire park, including Main Street, U.S.A., the water screens of the Rivers of America, and the façade of “it’s a small world.” Yes, DJ Mickey will be in control of the music. On select nights, the entertainment will be enhanced with the addition of fireworks.
- On Jan. 25, 2019, guests will be happy to know Mickey’s Soundsational Parade returns, and with a brand new float with Mickey inspired by classic Mickey pull toys. Mickey will also lead a musical procession down Main Street featuring Disney characters, including Chip ‘n’ Dale who will arrive in a giant celebration cake.
-For Valentine’s Day, Disneyland park will celebrate Valentine’s Month from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, 2019. The event will have Valentine’s decorations, including a new Mickey and Minnie flower “portrait” on Main Street. There will even be a special scavenger hunt called Minnie’s Valentine Surprise, where participants will purchase a map and stickers at select merchandise locations and then search for hidden valentines that Minnie has left for Mickey around the park.
Disney Cruise Line
-Finally, Disney Cruise Line will see the addition of an afternoon deck exclusively on the Disney Fantasy called Mickey and Minnie’s Surprise Party at Sea and will celebrate Mickey’s 90th with special costumes, Disney characters, and the new song “It’s a Good Time.” There will also be themed-food and beverages, like Mickey ice cream bars, Mickey pretzels, and a speciality drink in a Mickey-shaped cup.
And that’s it for all of the latest Disney announcements! I’ll be sure to update you if or when even more additions are announced!
- Disney World Holiday Events Happening In 2018
- Disney Skyliner Opening Date Announced & Other Disney News This Week
- 11 New Things I Tried At Disney World & Highly Recommend
Images: Courtesy of Walt Disney World Resort