Every week I gather the latest news from Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, and other Disney parks to help you keep up with all of the changes. Here is the most recent Disney news for the week of April 15-21, 2019:
1. Major Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway News
That’s right, the new attraction that’s slated to open in spring 2020 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is also coming to Mickey’s Toontown in 2022 at Disneyland park! Per the official ride description, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway “will put you inside the wacky and unpredictable world of a Mickey Mouse cartoon short where anything can happen! Once you step into the cartoon world of Mickey and Minnie, you’ll board a train with Goofy as the engineer. Then, one magical moment after the next leads you to a zany, out-of-control adventure filled with surprising twists and turns.”
2. Celebrate Hollywood Studios’ 30th Anniversary
On May 1, Hollywood Studios turns 30. Seeing as this is such a big birthday for the park, there are all kinds of celebrations happening, including the following:
–Themed-treats and beverages offered, including The Sorcerer’s Hat (photo below) found at both ABC Commissary and Fantasmic! food carts. The special dessert is a lemon sponge cake with vanilla swiss buttercream, lemon curd,and white chocolate glaze.
-There will be a Star-Studded Celebration, which is a cavalcade with Mickey and friends that will travel down Hollywood Blvd. at 10 a.m.
– You can get a commemorative 30th anniversary guide map and button upon entering the park.
-Of course, you can purchase 30th anniversary merchandise, including a new adult T-shirt, baseball cap, Tervis tumbler, MagicBand, ornament, and more! There will also be exclusive items for Annual Passholders. The merchandise will begin selling at 8 a.m. at Grand Park and the park opens at 9 a.m.
-The new nighttime projection show, Wonderful World of Animation, officially debuts at the Chinese Theatre beginning at 9:05 p.m.
-Also, don’t forget that you can also celebrate with a special Disney After Hours event, which offers an encore showing of Wonderful World of Animation, among many other goodies!
— Disney Parks (@DisneyParks) April 18, 2019
3. New Halloween Party Coming To Disney California Adventure
There’s a new spook-tacular party coming to Disney California Adventure park that will also replace Disneyland park’s Mickey’s Halloween Party. The new Halloween celebration is called — Oogie Boogie Bash — A Disney Halloween Party. Here’s what you need to know:
- Party Dates:
- September: 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29
- October: 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 27, 29 and 31
- Ticket Sale Dates:
- April 23: Annual Passholders, Disney Vacation Club Members, and Disney Visa card holders
- April 30: General public
- Purchase tickets online, at the Disneyland Resort main gate, or by calling 714-781-4636
- Ticket prices range from $100 to $145, depending on the date and whether or not you receive a discount
- Party Details:
- You can enter DCA early prior to the official party time: three hours early on Tuesday and Thursdays and four hours early on Sunday nights, plus Oct. 29 and Oct. 31. The bash begins at 6 p.m. and goes until 11 p.m. on each night listed above.
- Villainous!: The new World of Color show that includes a Halloween tale about a young girl named Shelley Marie and tells her story by exploring the villainous side of Disney characters.
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: The trail will be transformed into “a wondrous and ethereal world of Disney villains.”
- Immersive Treat Trails: You can trick-or-treat at the new wicked treat trails throughout DCA.
- DescenDance: A party in Hollywood Land’s Backlot area inspired by the popular Descendants franchise.
- Frightfully Fun Parade: This new parade will feature the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow starting the procession, with Mickey, Minnie, and other characters, including Disney villains following.
- Mickey’s Trick and Treat show: An interactive stage production with Mickey and friends, “not-so-frightening scary-tales,” and candy for kids of all ages at the Disney Theater in Hollywood Land.
- Character meet and greets: Beloved Disney characters and villains will be present.
The @Disneyland Resort is bringing a new, separate-ticket event to guests of all ages this Halloween season: "Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party" at Disney California Adventure park! Find out more: https://t.co/SflVnNHVDQ pic.twitter.com/lwhd6DSLdk
— Disney Parks (@DisneyParks) April 17, 2019
4. More Details Released About The Disney Skyliner
This week, Disney Parks Blog released a new video that takes you inside a gondola that’s part of the Disney Skyliner system opening in the fall at Disney World. Be sure to watch the video below to see what the design looks like. As for the cabin itself, there are two benches and up to 10 people can fit inside, including individuals with wheelchairs and anyone else who may need assistance. Furthermore, for those concerned that the gondolas won’t have air conditioning, they have cross ventilation for air flow and special reflective windows to help with the Florida sun and heat.
5. General Sales For Disney’s Riviera Resort Are Now Open
General sales for Disney World’s newest Disney Vacation Club Resort, Disney’s Riviera Resort, are now open. The resort is slated to open in December 2019. Plus, you can also save money with a new special on DVC Membership — $2,250 when you become a member by May 31, 2019, at Disney’s Riviera Resort. Click here for more details.
6. Minnie Mouse Is Becoming A Disney Cruise Line Captain
Did you hear? Beginning in April on the Disney Cruise Line, Minnie Mouse will be seen strutting her stuff as a captain. You can just call her Captain Minnie Mouse. There’s even cute new merchandise being released exclusive to the fleet inspired by Minnie’s captain role. Better yet, sometime in the future, young guests can even get a Captain Minnie Mouse makeover at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique located on the Disney ships.
Captain Minnie Mouse is just one of many ways DCL is looking to inspire girls and young women, including the cruise line sponsoring four scholarships at the LJM Maritime Academy in The Bahamas for female cadets who want to be ship captains and shipboard leaders one day. The scholarships, one for each of the ships in the fleet, offer two years of study at the academy and one year of service aboard a Disney ship. Furthermore, there will be an all-new youth activity debuting later this year with Captain Minnie Mouse where young individuals can practice STEM skills in maritime-themed activity in Disney’s Oceaneer Lab.
If that isn’t enough, Captain Minnie Mouse will even go ashore from time to time at homeports and ports of call with female DCL officers or crew members. They will visit with children, all while raising awareness about the career choices available to women aboard a cruise ship.
— Disney Parks (@DisneyParks) April 18, 2019
7. New ‘Star Wars’: Galaxy’s Edge Merchandise
To see more merchandise that will be available for purchase at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at both Hollywood Studios and Disneyland park, watch the video below!
That’s it for Disney news from this past week. I’ll continue to collect park updates, so be sure to keep your eyes open for my weekly news post!
- Two New Epcot Nighttime Spectaculars & More Coming To Disney Parks
- Disney Parks Ban Smoking & Other Disney News This Week
- Epcot’s 2019 Food & Wine Dates Announced & Other Disney News This Week
Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for my latests post, tips, and Disney updates! And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter, to have all the Disney information delivered right to your inbox!
Featured Image: Courtesy of Disneyland Resort