Purchasing Walt Disney World tickets is a big part of visiting the most magical place on earth. Obviously, you need valid theme park admission to enter the theme parks.
Since Disney World’s temporary closure in March, Disney has been working on a slew of park modifications. Yes, there are even ticket updates.
Everything you need to know about Disney World tickets is listed below. Check it out!
When can I purchase new tickets?
Currently, new tickets and annual pass sales are temporarily on hold in order to manage guests who have existing tickets and passes. Current Passholders can still renew their passes.
But, sales of 2020 tickets and Disney Resort hotel arrivals will resume later this summer, based on availability of park reservations. This will happen while Disney continues to provide existing ticket holders and APs the chance to make park reservations for 2020 dates.
By June 28, all guests will be able to purchase new Disney Resort hotel packages and theme park tickets and make their park reservations for arrivals starting in 2021 as the phased reopening continues. These are the official WDW hotels that can currently be booked for 2021 travel dates:
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Disney’s Riviera Resort
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Some other important notes about 2021 vacation packages:
- For arrivals Jan. 1, 2021 through Sept. 26, 2021
- Tickets purchased as part of packages include the option to add on a Park Hopper Option, Park Hopper Plus Option, and Water Park and Sports Option (standalone 2021 tickets not yet available)
- Disney Dining packages remain unavailable at this time
Important: Guests will be able to view park reservation availability on the Walt Disney World website prior to purchasing tickets. Existing ticket holders and Passholders will get to make reservation requests before new tickets and annual passes are sold.
What about ticket modifications, cancellations, and refunds?
Partially used multi-day theme park tickets with usage window impacted by park closure, or date-specific theme park tickets purchased through June 6, 2020 with a valid use period beginning March 12, 2020 or later, will automatically be extended to use any date through Sept. 26, 2021.
If you are unable to visit by Sept. 26, 2021, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date.
Florida Resident Discover Disney Tickets may be used through Sept. 30, 2020.
Guests who have purchased tickets for Disney After Hours, Disney Villains After Hours and Disney Early Morning Magic from March 16, 2020 through the closure period will be automatically refunded.
Do I only need Disney World tickets to enter a theme park?
No, it’s a bit more complex now. Guests need both valid theme park admission and a park reservation to enter a park. For more information, check out my park reservation guide.
Can I still use my MagicBand?
Yes, but, there are some changes to note for the future.
In 2021, an “innovative new offering” will be unveiled as part of My Disney Experience (MDE) bringing features of a MagicBand to smart devices.
Now, this means complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests for new reservations will be retired with arrivals beginning Jan. 1, 2021.
But, don’t fret. Disney Resort hotel guests can still purchase new MagicBands at a discount. You can also expect fresh colors and designs featuring favorite Disney characters. MagicBands will still be offered in retail locations and on shopDisney.com, and guests will be able to continue using them throughout WDW.
Starting Jan. 1, 2021, you don’t have to buy a discounted MagicBand. You can use MDE or a Key to the World card instead.